Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I'm back!

  First I would like to apologize for not posting much on this Blog.  To be honest with you all, I completely forgot that I had this Blog!  I got so wrapped up in my every day life, along with work, and my hobby that I forgot to post any updates.

  So I'm going to try and get everything caught up.  In the past few months I've purchased a couple of new models.  I purchased a Starmax P-51D Mustang, and she is a beauty!  I'm in the process of upgrading the motor and ESC for it though.  The stock motor just didn't seem to have enough power, I had to keep it at full throttle throughout the whole flight just to keep it in the air.  I purchased a
Motrolfly Brushless Motor 3625-430, from Subsonic Planes.  I was very happy of the craftsmanship of this motor, and I read a lot of good things about this motor on the RCgroups Starmax P-51 build thread.  Unfortunately I went with a cheaper ESC than what I would have liked to have bought, but hobby funds were getting low after buying the new motor.  So I went with a Turnigy 85amp ESC from hobby king.  I've had a few people tell me that it is a good ESC.  It should be better than the stock one any way.  I have no idea who made the stock ESC,or motor, there was no labels on either of them, and I had no documentation.  I had to modify the motor mount just a little in order to get the new motor to fit.  I had to drill new holes into the existing metal frame in order accommodate the holes on the new motor, and then I had to had a 1/3" spacer to the firewall side of the metal mounting frame in order to bring the new motor out to allow for clearance of the prop hub.  The new motor was about 1/3" shorter than the stock motor.  I'm still waiting for the ESC to arrive in the mail.  I did have a small problem with programming the stock ESC, I was not sure what setting I should pick for the timing of the ESC, the stock setting was at 'Low', and I later found out that it needed to be at 'High'.  I found this out the hard way, when right after takeoff of my 3rd flight, the motor made a terrible screeming sound and it came down hard on the landing gear, as seen in this video.

Wish I had more time to update you all with some of the other things that I have done, but I've run out of time.  I will try and post some more here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment